Asked to summarise the expedition the Sailing Manager said


“It was windy”


For photos see the GALLERY or more directly from HERE


2015.03.27 SWAN 65 - Boat
2015.03.27 SWAN 65 - Seals
Contingencies from Peterborough and Yaxley, Cambridge, Somersham and Newtown plus staff from Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire arrived at 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Scout HQ from 7pm on  Friday 27th.
Traffic conditions meant that arrivals where staggered through the evening.
Crews met and discussed menus and shopping lists.
Briefings were held and a meal was served before Scouts and Explorers  bedded down for the night for the night while most of the adults departed to the church hall for the night.
On Saturday morning the Expedition reconvened at the Scout HQ (along with more leaders who were working or flying in on Friday) for breakfast before heading for the village to buy groceries in crews and bits of forgotten equipment.
On returning to the HQ a light lunch was served and further briefings held.
The expedition departed for the boat yards after lunch.
Due to the high winds, the Hunter Fleet yachts could not sail, they stayed in the yard and the crews prepared the boats and trained on all the rigging.
The auxiliary yachts from Upton Dyke and Swallowtail Boatyard  motored to join the fleet at Hunters Yard.
Crews cooked their first evening meal together and gatherings were held.
The sailing manager and staff were monitoring weather forecasts, due to the predicted wind speeds it was decided that there would be opportunity to sail on Sunday from first light until lunchtime.
Everyone was up before dawn and set sail in turn from first light, with aim being to head for Upton Dyke for 12:30 while getting in as much sailing as possible.
The fleet, except for 2 boats, were moored safely in Eastwood Whelpton’s yard before the wind rose back up to dangerous levels.
Meals were cooked and gatherings held. The forecast gave a window to sail on Monday from 3pm but then 2 days of storms.
After sitting in the yard to ride out the worst of the weather the fleet departed down the dyke in turn from 3pm Monday and headed back to Hunters Yard where we were storm bound for two full days.
On Tuesday, an alternative programme of archery and crate stacking was provided by 30th Norwich Scouts at their HQ in Sprowston.
Wednesday’s programme offered  alternatives of a trip to the coast to see the seals at Horsey and Great Yarmouth pier and promenade; or a visit to Norwich castle and cathedral.
With the winds forecast to die down, an early start was planned for Thursday with crews up before dawn  and setting sail at first light to head for Wroxham.
For the first time in the week all the boats negotiated bridges at Wroxham before taking a break and heading back down stream to moor at Salhouse where we had the island mooring to ourselves for the night. 
Final gatherings were held to finalise progress.
As the tide would be against from early morning another early start was required on Friday.
On Friday, the fleet made its way back to Womack Water calling variously at Horning, Ranworth and South  Walsham for visits and exercises. The fleet were in the Yard and cleaning boats from 3pm.


The final get together and chip supper was held in Ludham Village Hall. Certificates were presented and the following awards made:
  • Galley Boy Trophy: Reide Jameson-Potts
  • Senior Galley Boy Trophy: Max Rippon
  • Duck Award: Paul Read and George Sansom
  • Mates Trophy: George Sansom
  • Quarters Fever Award: Aaron Eaton & Ben Binks
  • Skippers Trophy: Chester Oliver & Lotte Woods
Greg thanked everyone who had made SWAN 65 possible including all the young people for being so enthusiastic and so well behaved.
Very Early on Saturday Morning, Bootlegger and Hurricane were motored back to Upton Dyke. All boats were emptied and given their final clean before everyone dispersed.


2015.03.27 SWAN 65 - Field